2015 Challenge Participant:
John Henderson Construction - Keith Fusaro
Applicants: Keith Fusaro, John Henderson
Project Address: 1 Orchard Hill, Mystic, CT 06355
Bdrms./Sq. Footage: 3 BD - 2016 sq ft
General Project Overview:
A team consisting of homeowner Keith Fusaro, Passive House Architect Louisa Bradford and builder/framer John Henderson Construction took advantage of a great location and southerly exposure when designing and building this house. This SIPS constructed house is expected to have an ACH50 around the passive house standard of .6.
- Triple Glazing
- Geo-thermal loop with module tied into ERV to take the chill off or add some chill
Orientation and Envelope: (windows, insulation, framing)
- The SIPS construction allows for an R-24 continuous insulation reducing thermal bridging and the orientation is southerly.
- There is an additional 2x6 wall framing leaving a total exterior wall envelope of R-44. The roof also includes SIPS so the entire exposure to ambient air has a continuous thermal barrier.
- The roof framing also allows for additional foam insulation
- The windows, imported from Germany, are triple glazed for an average u-value of .14.
Heating, Cooling, and Hot Water:
- The main heating and cooling source is a small 9000 BTU Mitsubishi Air Source Heat.
- The hot water is heated by a Heat Pump Hot Water Heater.
- The storage tank itself is in a conditioned area on the 1st floor while the separate heat pump is hanging from the basement ceiling.
- Ultimate Air ERV
- Fully energy efficient lighting installed throughout the home
- Pre-wired for future solar installation